Chef’s Note: Mussels are a tasty versatile food and super easy to cook. I like cooking mine with wine (white of course). I love the taste of mussels when they come fresh from the ocean. Combine this with easy to cook pasta (Macaroni), add a few simple garnishes and this dish stands out on your plate and its exquisite taste in your palate. Enjoy this easy to make dish!
• 2 pounds of island gold mussel (Preferred-Prince Edward Island Mussels)
• Macaroni (200 g or as much as you like)
• 2 ounces of white wine
• One clove of chopped garlic
• 1 medium red onion
• 3 Roma Tomatoes
• Fresh Dill
• 2 tablespoons of chopped onions
• Place white wine, garlic, onions, and mussels into a saucepan and cover
• Cook on high for 5 to 6 minutes or until the mussels open up
• Once all mussels are opened-up, turn off heat and let the muscles cool down
• Remove the mussel meat from the shell and place into a container and place it into the fridge.
• Finely dice the red onion
• Slice each Roma Tomato in half, take out the inner part of the tomato and dice the outer flesh
• Chop 3 tablespoons of fresh dill
• place 200 g of macaroni into a pot with water and cook to manufacture recommendation
Chef’s Tip: I would recommend using chicken stock for your liquid as this will add much more flavour to your pasta.
• Once macaroni is cooked, drain the liquid and place macaroni in a bowl. Drizzle a little olive oil over it, and place in the fridge with a plastic cover over the bowl.
• Take a large bowl and add your pasta, onions, tomatoes, fresh dill. Carefully mix everything.
• Add salt and pepper to taste
• Add your cooked mussels and fold them into the mixture.
Chef’s Tip: Put the mixture in the fridge for another 30 minutes or keep in the fridge overnight before serving. Just before serving mix it up thoroughly again.
Chef Stephan Schulz works across Canada with corporations and with food brokers developing recipes for major restaurants and restaurant chains across Canada. Follow Chef Schulz on instagram for his daily recipe and plated photo posts: https://www.instagram.com/chef_schulz
Other articles from totimes.ca – otttimes.ca – mtltimes.ca